Characteristics of Step 2
Building The Records Management Foundation
, Building the Records Management (RM) Foundation, consists
of making the "conventional" - paper-based RM program efficient and effective, with
active support from management. This step is also necessary for the introduction
of electronic records management (ERM) in the later steps because any ERM system
introduced will require as input the products of Step 2.
Practices that characterize Step 2:
- A) Ordinance/Resolution authorizes records management in your county.
- B) Your agency has officially adopted a retention schedule.
- C) Records inventories are updated.
- D) Records retention schedules are up-to-date.
- E) Vital records program has been established.
- F) RM policies and procedures are up-to-date and are being enforced.
- G) RM policies are coordinated with information technology (IT) policies.
- H) Plans are being developed to incorporate new recordkeeping systems (reformatting) as part of overall records management program.
- I) Training in recordkeeping and records management is developed for agency staff.
- J) Management supports the maintenance of your records program by providing funding and staffing.
Click here to